Tuesday, December 18, 2007

This may be my last post before Xmas.

I am between Internet connections atm, and this one is a bit hit and miss atm, and the new one isn't set up yet and isn't likely to be running before the New year. But there is a something I have to say, and it needs to be done now.

This is our first Christmas after transplant. The tree is decorated, the presents are wrapped, the stockings have been dragged from the cupboard, the outside of the house is lit up with twinkling lights. I still have to get a small amount of shopping done (we are having Christmas dinner at peters parents house), and attend the last of the school Christmas plays and carol services. This year Peter is joining in with much gusto, and its beginning to feel normal. I am still a bit nervous as since December 2004 our lives have centred around hospitals and heart machinery. I think maybe its all going to be snatched away with a cackle and 'no you cant have a normal life'. Silly i know. But while we are preparing for our first Christmas with Peter at home and well, somewhere out there, is another family torn by grief, and facing their first christmas without their loved one. I don't know how much they know about the organs they donated, but I hope they do know that they have have changed our lives forver. They have given us so much, in one small but enormous gift. I still can't belive it, I know its been over 4 months, but its still seems so unreal. I am still staggered each day but the beating in his chest, the way he has more energy.

Each year, people are dying on the list, as less organ are suitable for transplant and list is getting longer. This year, Peters, Emilys and Oli's lives have been changed by life saving transplants, as well thousands of other people as well. But unless more people register on the uktransplant donor list, and discuss their wishes with their families, more people will sadly die waiting. We lost a few heart friends this year, and it hits harder each time.

Life wont ever be completely normal for us, but at least we have hope at long last.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Happy Christmas to you all Sarah xx