Saturday, August 11, 2007

Peter got called for transplant on Thursday.


I was called shortly before 9pm, by his mum to tell me there was a possibility of a transplant, and she was leaving then to get there ASAP. I had to arrange for babysitters for the children, and said i would follow as soon as possible. I was frantically calling and texting everyone, that there was a chance things would be happpening that night, around midnight. I actually got to the hospital around 11pm (its about 45-60mins journey from our home). Then we began the waiting game. Assessment bloods had already been taken a while before thursday, and the morning bloods were all fine as well, so Peter didnt get any more needles. Peter was already Nil by mouth. And I was drinking too much tea.

Midnight passed, and the transplant co-ordinator came by, to say they were still checking on the donor heart and she would let us know as soon as possible.

1am. transplant co-ordinator came back, and we wait on Peter who had choosen that point to go to the loo. when he came back, we hear the dreaded words 'i have bad news...'

the heart was showing signs of disease, so it was decided that it was too risky to proceed. even now, 2 days later, i feel so down about it. There was a chance, it was dangling right in front of out noses, and yet again it was snatched away. This was Peters 6th call, and we all thought this would be the one. We got our hopes up again, maybe next time i wont allow myself to hope too much, so it wont hurt as much if it doesnt go through.

Thank you to that donor family, you gave us a little spark of hope back. it has been missing for so long. now we can belive that it will happen again.

7 comments:

britmummybites said...

£$$%$^%^%" not fair. Tears are running down my face. Soooo close.

crazy-avon-lady said...

:o( cannot even begin to understand the hurt you are feeling right now. but i am guessing it is about 100 times more than i am. . . like you say use this positively to have a spark of hope again.

here to chat if you need
Nicola

Sarah said...

I am so sorry for the false call. How hard that must be.

Still praying for the perfect heart to come around for Peter.

Tinypoppet said...

so sorry honey :( Been thinking on you...hold on to that knowledge that he is right at the top of the list right now, hope it happens this week, big hugs xx

mimsie said...

what a brave lady you are so sorry for the disappointment but i pray that will happen soon..

lynnuk said...

I am so sorry for all of you. It must be so frustrating. I cannot imagine what you are going through. I hope Peter gets his heart soon.

Jessica said...

I love that picture and I always will! Peter will have many more moments like this with your girls! :) YAY!!!! ~