Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Media media media

This is great fun. Every single day, I have been getting phone calls, telegrams and emails from various media departments. Seems that Peters story, and his unrelenting fight to survive has touched the hearts (no pun!) of thousands. The Daily Mirror reported that since Peters story first appeared in the newspaper on the 9th August, 25,000 people signed the organ donation register in 6 days!. WoW!! Bloody bloody hell. Whenever people have questioned my need to do this media stuff, i always said, 'if we can get just one more person to sign, then we'll be happy' so you can imagine how much this means to us.

There wasnt anything I could do to help Peter when he had dilated cardiomyopathy, health wise. I looked into stem cell treatments, but he was in the end stages and needed a heart transplant by the time I got the information pack through. I joined online support groups, I disregarded the 'most people die within 5years of diagnosis of DCM' that some sites were still saying (this was before ACE inhibiators and meds like carvidalol, betas etc), i looked up imformtation for LVADs read and digested as much information as possible. I asked questions, researched and researched. Bugged Em at LLTGL on msn, who was great and got me even more information regarding LVAD's and transplant list criteria, I think I made a general pain the ass of myself to everyone who ever met me about this, but all I had in mind was the survival of my husband and all the other people i met who had DCM. I cried when members of support groups passed away, when others got their transplants with relief, when a new young lad, younger than peter got admitted to harefield with DCM and had a pump as he was so so young and his whole life ahead.

DCM is a terrible illness/disease, and affects more people that thought. There are 4 different types, Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy, Restrictive Cardiomyopathy,Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and peters condition Dilated Cardiomyopathy.

I know I am generall waffling again, but its what i do best lol.

As soon as Peter is back on his feet and back home, I will carry on, and hopefully make another montage soon.

Because I think it may have worked.

Sarah

4 comments:

britmummybites said...

How's the girls?
Don't forget to drop a line on when your next going to be in the papers etc so that we all can keep an eye out.

Emmie said...

Fantastic to hear who how keen everyone is to follow up the story at last! I always knew we'd get it in a national, despite them all thinking that "Slapper from big Brother slaps other slapper from Big Brother" was far more important news that some guy with a precious family who simply needed a chance...

At least this is one story that's had more impact than simply becoming tomorrow's fish and chip paper, and I think you are doing amazingly well coping with all the sudden media frenzy at a time when you probably have more than enough on your plate!!

So glad things are going well for Peter. I bet there will be no stopping him once he is out of that hospital!

You rock Sarah!

Emma x

Tinypoppet said...

It did and you rock ;) xx

Carol said...

"The Daily Mirror reported that since Peters story first appeared in the newspaper on the 9th August, 25,000 people signed the organ donation register in 6 days!. WoW!! Bloody bloody hell."

Well said and congratulations!

Madison, WI USA